Chicken Zoodle “Lo Mein” For Two
This faux lo mein dish is made with zoodles (zucchini noodles) in place of noodles and the results are DELISH (and bonus under 300 calories)! Each bowl is loaded with chicken and vegetables in a savory sauce. If you want to make this meatless, tofu would also be great in this dish. Start to finish this takes about 20 minutes to make… quicker than waiting for your take-out to get delivered!
To make the zoodles you can use a vegetable spiralizer such as the Paderno Spiral Vegetable Slicer or a mandolin fitted with a julienne blade although the spiralizer is so much easier and safer.
Since zucchini releases a lot of water as it cooks, I use it to my advantage and purposely leave the sauce a little thick. Once the noodles cook and release their liquid (I only cook them 2 minutes TOPS) the liquid from the zucchini thins the sauce and it comes out perfect.
Chicken Zoodle "Lo Mein" For Two
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth*
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce, use tamari for gluten free*
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce*
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
For the zoodles:
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
- 8 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into thin short strips
- kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tsp grapeseed or canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup sliced bok choy
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms such as shiitake
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 3 scallions, sliced into 1-inch pieces on the diagonal
- 1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- *check labels for gluten-free
- For the sauce – in a medium bowl, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce,oyster sauce, rice wine and 2 tablespoons of water. Whisk in the
- cornstarch until smooth.
- Using a spiralizer fitted with a shredder blade, or a mandolin fitted with a julienne blade, cut the zucchini into long spaghetti-like strips. If using a spiralizer, use kitchen scissors to cut the strands into pieces that are about 8 inches long so they’re easier to eat.
- Season chicken with salt.
- Heat a large nonstick wok over high heat. When very hot, add 1 tsp of the oil and the chicken. Cook until browned on both sides and opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, bok choy, mushroom, carrots, scallions, ginger and garlic. Cook until crisp tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Set aside with the chicken.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the wok and cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbling, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the sauce, mixing so the zucchini is covered in sauce, and cook until the zucchini is tender, 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to combine, then divide between two serving bowls.