Grilled sirloin steak “flaco” tacos use lettuce wraps instead of tortillas! The steak is seasoned with cumin and spices, then grilled and sliced thin, along with guacamole and pico de gallo – low-carb and super delicious!
Steak Taco Lettuce Wraps
These steak lettuce wrap tacos are also Keto, Whole30, and gluten-free. See all my lettuce wraps here, like these Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps and Thai Chicken Peanut Lettuce Tacos.
These lettuce wrap steak tacos were inspired by tacos I recently oredered at a Tex-Mex restaurant in NYC. They were so good, I didn’t miss the tortilla so I set out to recreate them at home. They used iceburg lettuce which they cut on an angle and used several layers which I thought was smart because it was easier to hold and eat. You can of course use any lettuce you like. If you don’t have a grill, you can make the steak on a grill pan or even on a cast iron skillet. So simple and light, you can easily eat more that two if you don’t make a side. I made a Mexican Cauli-rice on the side which was enough to fill me up.
How to Make Steak Taco Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps are low-carb, keto, gluten-free and low calorie, and don’t interfere with the flavors of the filling. A few tips when making lettuce wraps:
- Look for lettuce leaves that are large enough to hold the filling. I like to use iceberg lettuce for larger cups. Romaine lettuce and baby romaine are also great.
- The leaves of butter or boston lettuce are smaller, but also wonderful.
- If you prefer, you can turn this into a big chopped salad by simply serving this over a bowl over chopped lettuce.
Here’s a few more of my favorite lettuce wrap recipes:
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Turkey Santa FE Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Club Lettuce Wrap Sandwich
- BLT Lettuce Wraps
- Tuna Lettuce Wrap with Avocado Dressing
- Chicken and Shrimp Larb
Grilled Steak Lettuce Tacos
For the Guac:
- 4 oz 1 small haas avocado
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
For the Pico De Gallo:
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
For the Steak:
- 1 lb thin sirloin steaks
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch fresh ground pepper
- 8 lettuce shells from 1 head
- Combine the salt, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper. Rub over the steak.
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl with the tomato, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Combine the pico de gallo ingredients; set aside.
- Heat a grill over high heat. Clean grates and spray with oil. Cook the steaks over high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until the steak is cooked to your liking. Set aside on a cutting board to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Slice into thin strips.
- To serve, fill each lettuce cups with 1 1/2 tbsp guacamole and top with steak and pico de gallo.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
103 comments on “Steak Taco Lettuce Wraps”
Absolutely fantastic! So fresh, so easy. Thanks Gina!
Great recipe! So delicious and filling. It was very easy to prepare as well. Will be making again!
Could the steak that has already been cut up and sold for stir fry be used for this recipe?
I bought everything I need so I’ll be cooking this for supper tonight.
We loved this!!!!!! Thank you!!!!! So tasty. Paired with the fiesta lime rice was perfection!!!!
This recipe delivers on great taste! The meat, guacamole, and pico were all fantastic together. My husband didn’t even miss the tortillas. I used ruffled greed leaf lettuce and it really held up nicely. Thanks!
Oh my God…
I tried this receive and my sweetheart gave me 10 stars. This was so yummy and healthy… Thx for sharing such a healthy and delicious recipe….
Love love love this and super easy
The guacomole was the best!!!!
I’m following your meal plan and have to admit I was kind of ‘meh’ about the thought of lettuce cups for dinner…but, I stuck to the plan and OMG these are AMAZING! I am a total convert! The meat is tender and super flavorful and I would like to eat the guacamole by the bowlful…so delicious and very filling! WINNER, WINNER, STEAK DINNER!
Lol glad you enjoyed it!
Can you cook meat in the slow cooker or cast iron?
Cast iron skillet.
Do you cook for the same amount of time on the cast iron? High heat 2-3 min each side?
Dinner tonight!! In a word… FANTASTIC!!! Thanks Gina!
DELICIOUS! I made it one with with steak then the next week I swapped chicken tenders for the steak. Also really yummy.
We had these for dinner tonight. They were amazing
Hi I’ve made this two times it’s amazing! I just wanted to say that instead of the pico I used your restaurant style salsa recipe and I added pickled red onions (in red wine vinegar) to the top (I omitted the onions from the guacamole). Love this site! Thank you so much!!!
We used the Mexican Spice mix from the SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SKILLET recipe (https://www.skinnytaste.com/southwest-chicken-skillet/comment-page-1/#comment-176653) and were totally blown away!!!!
Holy bananas. We love these steak lettuce tacos and make them regularly at our house. I love to add in a dollop of guac on top and to eat on the side with tortilla chips! They are an amazing summer dinner!
Made these today and they were AMAZING!!! Had always been afraid that I would miss the tortilla but it was delicious! Used romaine lettuce but is was great! Even the crunch in the lettuce made me feel I wasn’t missing a thing. My husband may even try them next time!!
Made this tonight for dinner…I actually used the left over thin cut steak from the stuffed portabella mushroom recipe and was awesome…I added jalapeno poppers as a side what a great dinner…didn’t make the cauliflower rice this time but ill try it next…Thank you for all the wonderful recipes…it has made huge positive change in our family dinners!!!!
Made the tacos and rice for lunch today and couldn’t believe how much food there was for so few points! Everything tasted wonderful! Thanks Gina!!
You’re welcome Anne! Glad you enjoyed it!