These easy, delicious, high-protein Cottage Cheese Lasagna Roll Ups are vegetarian and perfect weeknight dinners.
Lasagna Roll Ups With Cottage Cheese
I swapped out ricotta for cottage cheese in these cheesy lasagna roll ups, and no one in my family noticed a thing! In fact my daughter actually liked it better! Cottage cheese has a similar creamy texture to ricotta cheese, so it can be used in place of ricotta in many dishes without sacrificing texture or flavor. Compared to ricotta, it’s generally lower in calories and fat and higher in protein, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied for a longer time. This vegetarian recipe is perfect for those who love lasagna but want a lighter and healthier version. If you love these, here are more vegetarian lasagna roll up recipes to try: Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups, Mushroom Kale Lasagna Rolls, and Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups.
This easy lasagna recipe with cottage cheese is perfect for weeknight dinners. It’s also vegetarian, can be made gluten-free and easy to make ahead.
Lasagna Roll Up Ingredients
- Marinara Sauce: Use jarred or homemade marinara.
- Noodles: You’ll need eight uncooked lasagna noodles – gluten-free or wheat will work too.
- Cottage Cheese: I like Good Culture’s 2% cottage cheese.
- Parmesan: Grate 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Herbs: Chop fresh parsley for the filling. Dried will work too, or swap it for basil. You’ll also want some for garnishing.
- Pesto: Two tablespoons of pesto enhance the flavor while only using one ingredient.
- Egg: One egg binds the cheese filling. If you have an egg allergy you can omit, although it will be a little runnier but still delish!
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning the cheese mixture and extra salt for the pasta water
- Mozzarella: Top each lasagna roll with shredded mozzarella.
How to Make Cottage Cheese Lasagna Roll Ups
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Ladle a cup of sauce on the bottom of a 9” x 12” oval baking dish.
- Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, cook the noodles according to package directions, and drain.
- Cheese Mixture: Combine the cottage cheese, parmesan, parsley, pesto, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Roll Up the Lasagna: Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out the noodles (Make sure they’re dry). Spread a third cup of the cheese mixture over the noodle. Roll it carefully and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat the process with the other noodles.
- Bake: Ladle the remaining sauce over the noodles and top each with a tablespoon of mozzarella. Cover the dish with foil, being careful not to let it touch the cheese, and bake it for 40 minutes.
What to Serve with Lasagna Roll Ups
These healthy cottage cheese lasagna roll ups would be great with an Italian side salad and garlic knots. Or serve it with broccolini, parmesan green beans, or wilted spinach.
How to Meal Prep Lasagna Roll Ups
These easy lasagna roll ups are fantastic for meal prep and freezing.
- Meal Prep: Assemble the rolls, cover the baking dish, and refrigerate overnight. Bake the dish the next day as instructed.
- Freeze Unbaked: You can freeze the entire dish unbaked for up to three months. Thaw it in the refrigerator and then bake according to the directions.
- Leftovers: Cooked lasagna roll ups will last up to four days in the fridge or up to three months in the freezer. Reheat in the microwave or oven until warm.
More Lasagna Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Parmesan Lasagna
- Lasagna Soup
- Veggie Lasagna Zucchini Boats
- Noodle-less Butternut-Sausage Lasagna
- Spaghetti Squash Sausage Lasagna Boats
Lasagna Roll Ups With Cottage Cheese
- 2 cups homemade or jarred marinara sauce, plus more for serving
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles, wheat or gluten-free
- 16 ounces 2% cottage cheese, I like Good Culture, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons pesto, prepared or homemade
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 3 oz)
- basil or parsley, optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 or large oval baking dish.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions, then drain.
- In a large bowl combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, parsley, pesto, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper and mix.
- Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles.
- Make sure noodles are dry. Take 1/3 cup of cheese mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Ladle remaining sauce over the noodles and top each one with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese.
- Put foil over baking dish careful not to touch the cheese and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 8 rolls.
39 comments on “Lasagna Roll Ups With Cottage Cheese”
Big hit with my husband. He couldn’t believe it had 30+ grams of protein in 2 rollups with no meat. Will definitely make again.
Delish! I added 1/2 lb of ground beef and made 2 more roll ups, worked great!
I’m allergic to pesto, what can I use instead??
Easy to prepare, delicious – thanks so much for sharing!
I used Rao’s Marinara to simplify and this still took me a while to prep, but it was definitely worth the effort. The flavor was great for a meatless lasagna. This has been added to my favorite recipes list!
Delicious! My husband called this a keeper. That’s says it all!
This is really one of the first recipes I’ve ever truly hated. First the 1/3 cup portions of filling was too much and I ran out halfway through, then the whole mixture turned into some weird bland soup in the oven. Literally used $15 of ingredients only to throw it away ):
Have no idea how since my photographer who shot this and even my video of this turned out perfect. Did you change anything?
I made this for my family and it was very easy to make and we all loved it.
Ok so this was GREAT!!!! Fed it to my family and my husband asked, what the ingredient were and he said, so ricotta cheese, etc….Flavor was phenomenal! This recipe will be on our rotation! Make it you WON’T be disappointed!
Outstanding recipe, very easy to make ,super super tasty. That was my husband’s birthday dinner. He absolutely loved it. Thank you so much for your recipes.
This recipe was delicious! My kids didn’t even notice it was cottage cheese, they actually liked it more!
My daughter too!!
Made this & turned out very good & so were the leftovers. I did add a 1/2# of cooked ground beef to the sauce. I also put the cottage cheese in the blender (by mistake) but it did make look more like the ricotta. Next time going to add some mushrooms.
Soooo good! I was excited I had leftovers.
This meal was so delightful! I loved the pesto touch of the filling and I didn’t miss the ricotta cheese. I used Rao’s Marinara which upped the points to 15 for two rolls which is high but I think worth it. Yum!
I decided to try this because I make the spinach lasagna rolls from Skinnytaste at least twice a month. I like cottage cheese as a protein source too (make eggs with cottage cheese nearly every morning). I also followed the instructions exactly with no substitutions. Unfortunately, even though the amount of pesto and parsley is minimal, that was the overwhelming flavor of this dish. It’s not throw away bad but I won’t be making it again. Highly recommend the spinach lasagna rolls from here instead.
Sorry you weren’t a fan, my daughter loved them more than my others!
This is a fantastic recipe! I assembled it on Sunday, and popped it in the oven for dinner tonight. So convenient! And it’s unusual for vegetarian dishes to get approval from my boys, but not a single complaint:)
From the first bite I was so impressed. These were so delicious. I’m Italian and grew up eating and cooking traditional lasagna but this recipe was yummier than any family recipe.
Absolutely delicious! I had to turn it into a regular lasagna as my gluten free noodles all broke in half while they cooked so I couldn’t roll them up. I found a great gluten free brand that tastes like regular noodles. I have to say, I was worried when I was putting it all together, but holy cow, it’s delicious!! My husband loved it as well. Definitely a keeper!
I JUST made these last night and it is the BOMB! So easy to make and SO yummy! Family LOVED it! I also used your Quick Marinara Sauce recipe and it too is so simple and easy and tastes fabulous!
I made the lasagna roll ups, they’re very good with the pesto in the filling, would not have thought to add that into the filling., Thank you.
Looks so delish! What can I use as a replacement for pesto? Would the recipe still work without it?
I’m making it with spinach instead of parsley. Hope that works out well!
Absolutely delicious!! My family loved this!
I am so glad!!
Looks great – could you add some kind of meat – beef/veal/pork/chicken/turkey?
I haven’t made it yet, I’m sure it will be great. I was just wondering if I could use a fat free cottage cheese to save on WW points?
Thank you for this recipe. Hoping to make soon.
Small point but there is a typo. In ingredient list, it says “1 large legg” and I assume it means “egg”. 😉
Do you ever drain your cottage cheese? Everytime I make a lasagna like dish with cottage cheese it is swimming in liquid if I don’t drain. I usually use Daisy brand.
That’s a good suggestion!