This fall pumpkin banana bread is a variation of my Banana Bread recipe which is moist and delicious with pumpkin puree and spices.
Pumpkin Banana Bread
If you love Pumpkin Bread and Banana Bread, you’ll love this combo, the best of both worlds! It’s super moist and a wonderful fall breakfast or snack! We scoffed up half this bread before it got a chance to cool, so good. This would be great topped with some Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese! I also have these popular Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, and Pumpkin Nut Muffins.
Baking is truly a science. Remaking cakes and breads to make them healthier is not always as easy as remaking soups or casseroles. So, whenever I am experimenting with baking, my fingers are crossed the whole time. This moist pumpkin banana bread recipe turned out delicious. I’ve been sending my daughter to school with some in her lunchbox every day, and it’s been a big hit!
Pumpkin Banana Bread Ingredients
- Flour: I use all purpose and white whole wheat flour to keep the texture light but with more nutrition. If you don’t have white whole wheat flour, you can swap it with all purpose flour.
- Baking soda improves the texture and helps the bread rise.
- Salt balance out the sweetness.
- Spices: The mix of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice screams “fall.”
- Bananas: You want really ripe bananas. They should be more black than yellow – the riper, the better!
- Pumpkin: Use canned or homemade pumpkin puree.
- Butter: Two tablespoons add a little fat while keeping the nutrition info in check. You can also use vegan butter.
- Sugar: I use light brown sugar, but dark would work too.
- Eggs: One egg white and one whole egg, to cut back on fat.
- Vanilla Extract for extra flavor
- Pecans: Swap them with walnuts, or for nut-free pumpkin bread, omit them or sub chocolate chips.
How To Make Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and grease a 9” × 5” loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add the egg white, egg, bananas, pumpkin, and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and nuts (if using), and blend at low speed until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake on the center rack for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing. The pumpkin bread should be at room temperature so it doesn’t fall apart when cut.
How to Freeze Pumpkin Banana Bread
Store the banana bread in the fridge for up to five days or freeze it for up to three months. Wrap slices in foil or plastic wrap and put them in a freezer-safe container or bag. To thaw, transfer to the refrigerator or microwave straight from frozen.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why is my pumpkin bread tough?
If your pumpkin bread turns out tough, the problem is often caused by overmixing the dry and wet ingredients. Stir them just enough so there are no dry spots in the batter.
Can you substitute pumpkin for banana in baking?
Usually, you can substitute pumpkin for banana when baking. However, ripe bananas are sweeter than pumpkin, so your baked goods may turn out less sweet.
How do you know when a pumpkin loaf is done?
It takes about an hour to bake pumpkin bread. Insert a toothpick into the middle of the loaf to check for doneness. When the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is ready.
Can I make pumpkin banana muffins instead of a loaf?
Yes, you can use the batter to make muffins instead of bread. Pour the batter into a lined muffin tin and bake for about 25 minutes at 325°F until a toothpick comes out clean.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Pumpkin Butternut Squash Bars
- No Bake Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Your comments are helpful!! If you’ve tried this healthy Pumpkin Banana Bread recipe or any other recipe on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! And if you took some photos of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can re-share on my stories!
Pumpkin Banana Bread
- baking spray
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 3 medium very ripe medium bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar unpacked
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add egg whites, egg, bananas, pumpkin and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add flour mixture and nuts (if using), then blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake on the center rack for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.