This delicious Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad made with juicy pears, pomegranates, pepitas, and goat cheese is the perfect fall side dish.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
I love raw shaved Brussels sprout salads and have been making them since Madison was little. She loves them! Last year, I shared this Fall Brussels Salad with Apples, but lately, I am loving this pear version with pomegranate seeds. The perfect fall side dish to enjoy with your favorite protein. The colors are gorgeous, the pepitas give it the perfect crunch, and the goat cheese (or feta cheese) adds creaminess. For more of my favorite Brussels sprout recipes, try this Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad and Shredded Brussels Salad with Bacon.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Colorful: This beautiful Brussels sprout salad would look great on your holiday table.
- Hearty: Leftover shredded Brussels salads, unlike leafy salads, will be great the next day.
- Healthy: Brussels sprouts are low in carbs and high in fiber and protein, with lots of vitamins C and K. The other ingredients are all nutritious, adding even more fiber and protein.
- Easy: If you buy prepped pomegranate seeds and Brussels sprouts, all you have to do is whisk the vinaigrette, cut the pear, and throw everything in a bowl.
What You’ll Need
- Brussels Sprout Salad Dressing: Olive oil, minced shallots, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar
- Brussels Sprouts: Thinly shred 12 ounces of Brussels sprouts.
- Salt and Pepper to season the sprouts and vinaigrette
- Pear: Core and dice one large, ripe red pear.
- Pomegranate Seeds: You can deseed a whole pomegranate yourself or buy a cup of seeds from your supermarket.
- Pepitas: Toast a quarter cup of pepitas.
- Cheese: Use feta or goat cheese.
How to Shave Brussels Sprouts
You can purchase pre-shredded Brussels sprouts from the supermarket, but I prefer to prep them myself so they’re fresher.
- First, cut off the root end of each sprout, and then do one of the two methods below:
- Slice the Brussels sprouts in half and then cut them vertically.
- Use the slicing disk on a food processor to shred the sprouts, or a sharp knife to halve and then thinly slice them by hand.
How to Make Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Vinaigrette: Whisk the olive oil, Dijon, shallots, and vinegar with a pinch of salt and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Brussels Sprouts: Pour the dressing over the shaved Brussels sprouts in a mixing bowl and season with a quarter teaspoon of salt and black pepper to taste. Toss well and transfer to a large salad bowl.
- Assemble the Salad: Top the sprouts with pears, pomegranates, pepitas, and goat cheese.
- Greens: Sub kale for the shredded sprouts.
- Pear: Swap the red pear with a Bartlett or Bosc pear or an apple, like Pink Lady or Honeycrisp.
- Pomegranates: Substitute dried cranberries or dates.
- Pepitas: Use toasted pecans or walnuts.
What to Serve with Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
This easy Brussels sprout salad would go perfectly with any protein, like baked salmon, roasted chicken, or honey mustard air fryer pork chops and a starchy side dish, like roasted potatoes, brown rice or quinoa.
How to Meal Prep Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
If you’re serving it at a party or the holidays, do these three things a day or two early:
- Shred the Brussels sprouts
- De-seed the pomegranate
- Make the vinaigrette
On the day of your event, assemble the salad a couple of hours early, but wait to cut the pear until right before serving. This hearty salad will keep for up to two days in the fridge.
More Shaved Brussels Sprouts Recipes You’ll Love
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
- Raw Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Oil
- Brussels Sprouts Carbonara
- Cacio e Pepe Brussels Sprouts
- Spicy Pork Brussels Bowls
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups thinly shredded Brussels sprouts, 12 oz total*
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large ripe red pear, cored and diced
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup pepitas, toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese, or feta
- For the dressing, whisk olive oil, Dijon, shallots and vinegar with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the shaved Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Toss well then transfer to a large salad bowl and top with pears, pomegranate, pepitas and cheese.