Skinny Pumpkin Pie
A Thanksgiving dessert table is never complete without the pumpkin pie. This recipe is quick and easy, made with refrigerated pie crust rolled out thinner, to lighten it up.
That’s right, pumpkin pie is made with pretty healthy ingredients. It’s the sugar and pie crust where all the calories are, so I simply use less sugar as I find most recipes to be too sweet anyway, and roll the crust out thinner.
Isn’t that genius?!! I thought it was, although I can’t take full credit; someone left a comment on my sweet potato pie, brilliant!! Since I had all the extra dough, I cut out some leaves, pumpkins and letters with a cookie cutter to make it pretty. Of course, this will increase the calories if you do so. I calculated the pie crust based on Pillsbury, using just under 5 oz dough.
To make the pumpkin filling, I prefer to make the pumpkin puree from scratch although canned will do just fine. I roast the pumpkin the night before, then pureed it in a food processor.
For the letters and leaves, I used Wilton’s Harvest Mini Metal Cookie Cutters and these metal letters (affil links) to make the word PIE. Brushed it with a little egg white wash that I mixed with a drop of water, then baked 350°F until golden 12 to 15 minutes on a baking sheet.
How To Make Easy Pumpkin Pie
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Spice No Bake Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Pumpkin Butternut Squash Bars
- Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Skinny Pumpkin Pie
- 15 oz canned pumpkin, or homemade pumpkin puree*
- 2 tbsp whipped butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, unpacked
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 frozen pie crust sheet, Pillsbury (thawed to room temperature)*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly dust a large cutting board or flat surface with flour. Roll out a room temperature pie crust sheet, so that it becomes thin enough to cut off about 30%, so that your final crust is 5 oz.
- Place into a 9-inch pie dish, cutting off excess dough.
- Place pumpkin puree in a large bowl. Add butter, and mix well.
- Using an electric mixer, mix in brown sugar, milk, eggs, egg whites, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust. Bake about 70 to 75 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cut into 10 slices and serve with whipped coconut cream or whipped cream if desired.