This is hands down, The Best Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe ever! Perfect to use for any of my enchilada recipes!
Best Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe
Once you try this enchilada sauce recipe, you’ll never buy canned again! If you love enchiladas as much as I do, then making homemade enchilada sauce from scratch is a must! You can double it and freeze the rest. Use it to make my Chicken Enchiladas, Rotisserie Chicken Enchilada Skillet, Enchilada Chicken Roll Ups, and more!
A reader recently commented that using this homemade enchilada sauce made all the difference in her dish, and I agree. I have never cared for any of the canned sauces, so I usually whip up a big batch and freeze what I don’t use for future meals. Trust me, you will be making this sauce again and again! This recipe yields 4 cups.
How to Use Homemade Enchilada Sauce:
Aside from making enchiladas, here’s a few more ways to use it!
- Poach your eggs in them for a Enchilada Shakshuka
- Pour some over turkey meatloaf for a Enchilada Mexi-loaf
- Use it on tacos or burritos
- Pour some in the slow cooker or Instant Pot and add some chicken to make an easy, flavorful, Mexican inspired shredded chicken dish.
- Make Poblano Stuffed Peppers (pictured above) recipe coming soon!
- The possibilities are endless, if you have ideas please share!
The Best Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, chopped (to taste)
- 1 tsp Mexican hot chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and garlic; sauté until golden, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, chipotle chiles, hot chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 7-10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use. Makes 4 cups.