Best Guacamole Recipe
Guacamole is one of my favorite appetizers, and my husband is usually the one who makes it. It’s flavorful, clean, and healthy, but we eat it because we love it. His recipe is simple, but simple is good! He has converted many non-avocado lovers with this recipe.
The trick is to a good guacamole is leave large chunks of avocado; don’t mash them thoroughly and having a perfect balance of lime juice, red onion and salt is essential. If you like it hot, you can certainly add some diced jalapeño, some people also like to add diced tomato which is fine, but we like it just like this!
I posted this recipe a while back, but the photos needed some updating so I figured I’d re-post in time for the Superbowl.
Avocados may be high in fat, but they have the good essential healthy fats which we should consume every day. They are also high in fiber, rich in vitamin B, E and K and have 60 percent more potassium than bananas. I love avocado so much I created an entire Avocado Obsessed Pinterest board in their honor.
Guacamole is great with baked tortilla chips, lentil chips, baked plantain chips, chicken fajitas, or even on a wrap in place of mayonnaise. Sometimes we even make guacamole turkey burgers, I’ll have to share the recipe when the weather warms up.
Best Guacamole Recipe
My husband Tommy makes the BEST guacamole! Every party we go to, they always request that we bring the guac! Super easy, only 5 ingredients.
- 15 oz (from 3 medium hass) pitted and halved avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup red onion, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, mashed
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Place the pulp from the avocados in a medium bowl and slightly mash with a fork or a potato masher leaving some large chunks. Add lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, red onion, garlic and mix thoroughly.
- If you are serving this at a later time, a great tip to keep the guacamole from turning brown is to cover tightly with plastic wrap so no air gets on it. Makes 2 cups.
Yield: 8 Servings, Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 3
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 93
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 75mg
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 1g