This breaded cubed steak recipe (bistec empanizado) is a Puerto Rican staple, and making it in the air fryer is easy and healthier!
Air Fryer Breaded Cubed Steak
If you’re in a cooking rut and need new dinner ideas, your family will love this breaded steak! Beef cubed steak is an inexpensive cut of meat, the same used in country fried steak (I have that recipe in Skinnytaste Air Fryer Dinners). Tommy grew up on this dish, which is now on our dinner rotation. Last year I started cooking Breaded Cubed Steak in the air fryer, and we all loved it. It’s crispy golden perfection, and now we don’t eat it any other way! I serve it with Puerto Rican Beans and rice and some lime wedges on the side. So good! And for more steak recipes without the breading, try this Air Fryer Steak.
You might not think of breading thin steaks, but in many Latin countries, fried breaded steaks (bistec empanizado), like chicken cutlets are very popular. It’s a tasty way of taking a cheap cut of beef and making it flavorful.
What is Cube Steak
Cube steak or cubed steak is an inexpensive cut of beef that’s been tenderized, usually top round or top sirloin. It is tenderized and flattened by pounding with a meat tenderizer. The name refers to the shape of the indentations left. This is also the meat used for the American dish chicken-fried steak. I personally like to tenderize it again at home with a meat mallet, so it’s extra tender.
Breaded Cubed Steak Ingredients
- Cubed Steak: Buy 16 ounces of cubed steak, also called cube steak or beef round sirloin that you can tenderize yourself.
- Eggs: Beat three eggs with one tablespoon of water.
- Salt to season the beef.
- Breadcrumbs: I used seasoned breadcrumbs, but if you only have regular, you can add spices, like onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- Olive Oil Spray to spray on the beef
How Long to Air Fry Breaded Cubed Steak
- After you salt the beef, dip it into the egg mixture and then the breadcrumbs. Pat the crumbs onto the meat with a fork to make it stick.
- Spray the top of the steaks with oil and air fry them at 400°F for five minutes. Flip the steaks over, spray the other sides with oil, and cook them for another five minutes.
What to Serve with Breaded Cubed Steak
I love to serve these cubed steaks with rice and beans and a salad or sliced avocado. I always have sofrito in my freezer, so Puerto Rican rice and beans are a staple in my house, but any version will work, like these Black Beans and Rice or Dominican Beans.
How to Store Cubed Steak
The steak will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It’s best to reheat it in the air fryer so the breading stays crispy.
More Breaded Meat Recipes You’ll Love:
- Breaded Pork Cutlets with Lime
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Breaded Chicken Cutlets with Deconstructed Guacamole
- Crispy Breaded Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich with Sriracha Mayo
Air Fryer Breaded Cubed Steak (bistec empanizado)
- Season the beef with salt on both sides.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl with water.
- Dip the beef in the egg, then into the breadcrumbs, patting it with the back of a fork so it sticks.
- Transfer to the air fryer basket in batches as needed.
- Spray the top of the beef with oil then air fry 400F in a single layer 5 minutes on each side, spraying the other side when you flip. Serve with rice and lime wedges, if desired.