Air Fryer Shrimp Sandwich is made with crispy shrimp served on a soft potato bun with lettuce and homemade tartar sauce, the perfect summer sandwich.
Fried Shrimp Sandwich with Tartar Sauce
These air-fried shrimp are light, bouncy, and cooked to perfection! They are served with my healthier tartar sauce flavored with chopped dill pickles, which add the perfect tang. For more air fryer shrimp recipes, try my Coconut Shrimp and Cajun Shrimp.
Last week when I was out on Fire Island, we stopped for lunch by the beach. They had a fried shrimp sandwich on the menu, which sounded wonderful, and it was! That lunch inspired this healthier homemade version made in the air fryer. This sandwich is an ideal summer lunch.
Using the air fryer to fry these shrimp was the best way to get crispy fried shrimp without the extra calories from the oil. I start by coating the raw shrimp in egg and then dredging them in a mixture of breadcrumbs and panko. The only oil I use is a little olive oil sprayed on both sides of the shrimp before cooking. This is the air fryer I use.
How long do you cook breaded shrimp in an air fryer?
You cook breaded shrimp for about six minutes in the air fryer heated to 400 degrees turning halfway. To ensure they cook evenly, cook the shrimp in batches. You don’t want to overcrowd the basket.
How do you make tartar sauce from scratch?
Homemade tartar sauce is so easy to make! Plus, it’s better than any store- bought version you will find. Tartar sauce is pretty high in calories since its main ingredient is mayonnaise. I lighten up my tartar sauce by using a mix of reduced- fat sour cream and light mayo. I then season it with chopped dill pickles, fresh dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. After you mix everything together, refrigerate the sauce until you’re ready to serve it.
What goes good with fried shrimp sandwiches?
I would serve these shrimp sandwiches with a healthy side like veggie sticks or my Quick Cabbage Slaw. A nice salad with summer produce would also be delicious. Try my Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad or Summer Tomato Salad.
- Try the tartar sauce with capers in place of pickles and omit the salt.
- Iceberg lettuce can be used in place of butter lettuce.
- To make them in the oven, you can follow the time for these oven-fried healthy breaded shrimp.
More Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love:
- Creamy Shrimp and Celery Salad
- Lemon-Chili Shrimp Quinoa Bowls
- Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad
- Mexican Shrimp Diablo
- Chopped Salad with Shrimp, Blue Cheese, and Bacon
Air Fryer Fried Shrimp Sandwich with Tartar Sauce
- 20 about 14 to 16 oz raw peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp, tails removed
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/3 cup dry seasoned panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
- olive oil spray
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 4 whole wheat 100 calorie potato buns, (round or long) I like Martins
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the ingredients for the tartar sauce and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and beat it. Combine panko, and breadcrumbs in a second bowl.
- Using a fork, place shrimp 1 at a time into the egg, then into the crumbs, then onto a plate in a single layer while breading the rest.
- Spray the top of the shrimp generously with oil then transfer oil side down to the fryer basket in a single layer in batches.
- Spray the other side with oil and air fry 400F 4 minutes.
- Shake the basket and cook 2 more minutes, or until golden. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- On 4 buns, divide the shrimp on each, top with lettuce and 2 1/2 tablespoons tartar sauce on the top side of the bun.