If you need a high protein, low-carb dish you can whip up in under 20 minutes, these Fish Taco Bowls are it! Air fryer or saute 6 minutes!
Fish Taco Bowl
I love taco bowls, so why not make a fish taco bowl! It’s super simple made with bite-sized fish, seasoned with Cajun seasoning, and cooked in the air fryer for 6 minutes! If you don’t have an air fryer, just make this in a skillet instead! I got my hands on some blackfish and heard it was great for fish tacos, so I turned it into this quick bowl with a veggie slaw as the base drizzled with spicy mayo, so good! This bowl is spicy, fresh, and flavorful and takes only minutes to whip up! More of my favorite air fryer recipes are Tzatziki fish tacos, Air Fryer Fried Shrimp Sandwich, and Air Fryer Salmon!
You can turn any taco into a bowl which I often love to do! This was more like a salad, but if you want to add grains add some brown rice or quinoa.
Fish Taco Bowl Ingredients
- Fish: White flaky fish is best for tacos. I used blackfish here, but cod, mahi mahi, halibut, or flounder would also work. Spritz the fish with olive oil and sprinkle it with Cajun seasoning.
- Fish Taco Sauce: Combine mayonnaise, sriracha or chipotle en adobo sauce, and lime juice and add enough water so it’s easy to drizzle.
- Cabbage Slaw: This easy slaw for fish tacos consists of coleslaw mix (red and white cabbage and shredded carrots) tossed in olive oil, lime juice, and salt. You can cut your own cabbage and carrots, but the premade mixes are a huge timesaver.
- Garnish: Serve these fish taco bowls with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
- Fish Taco Seasoning: If you don’t like spicy food, swap the Cajun seasoning for Tajin or chili lime seasoning.
- Carbs: If you want a more substantial meal, add some rice or black beans to the bowl.
- Fish Taco Toppings: Top your bowl with cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion, or bell pepper. And if you’d like to add cheese, cotija or queso fresco would be delicious.
- Herbs: If you don’t like cilantro, skip it or sub it with chives.
- No air fryer, no problem! Heat a skillet on high heat, spray it with oil, and cook the fish for five to six minutes.
More Fish Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
- Healthy Cod Fish Tacos
- Tzatziki Fish Tacos
- Cilantro Lime Fish Tacos
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Cabbage Mango Slaw
- Shrimp Scampi Tacos
Your comments are helpful!! If you’ve tried this healthy Fish Taco Bowl recipe or any other recipe on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear your thoughts, variations and feedback. And if you took some photos or video of it, share it with me on Instagram or Tiktok so I can re-share!
Fish Taco Bowl
- 4 6 ounce boneless skinless fish fillets , such as blackfish, cod, mahi mahi, cut into 1 inch pieces
- olive oil spray
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sriracha , or chipotle en adobo sauce
- 2 limes
- 5 cups slaw, red cabbage, white cabbage and shredded carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- cilantro, optional
- Spritz fish all over with oil. Season all over with seasoning. Cut 1 lime into wedges and halve the other.
- Combine mayo and sriracha or chipotle and squeeze 1/4 of the lime. Add a little water until it’s easy to drizzle later.
- Air fry the fish 6 minutes 400F shaking the basket half way.
- Meanwhile, combine slaw with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, remaining half lime and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Divide on 4 plates, add fish on the side and drizzle the spicy mayo over the fish.
- Serve with lime wedges and garnish with cilantro.
- No air fryer, no problem! Heat a skillet on high heat, spray with oil and cook 5 to 6 minutes.
45 comments on “Fish Taco Bowls”
Killer recipe! Made my own cajun spice since I did not have it. Subbed tabasco for sriracha, had none. Used cod on the stove. I will make again!
The flavor of these was really good but I don’t know if anyone had this same problem, we used flounder and it pretty much fell apart in the air fryer when we tried to flip the fish and then when we were taking it out. I wonder if it had to do with the type of fish we used
Yes you would need a firmer fish.
This was absolutely amazing!!! It was super quick and easy!!! I added sliced avocado and cojita! Been making a skinnytaste recipe once a week now!
This is an amazing recipe. I used Mahi Mahi and, because I don’t have an air fryer or convection oven, I left the fish fillets whole, seasoned them and broiled them 6 minutes per side. This will be a normal part of my meal plan going forward.
Just made this tonight for the family, and it was so amazingly delicious! Wow, wow, wow! Tastes like you are out at a restaurant. So good and kids asked to have it added to our regular rotation.
Loved this! Made cauliflower rice seasoned with chili, cumin, , lime and salt for the base. Used chili and cumin for my spice instead of cajun. Definitely having this again!
Is the blue circle with the number and + sign for weight watchers?
So easy and delicious!!! I subbed the seasoning to TJ’s chile lime seasoning and it was amazing! Also subbed mayo for Greek yogurt 😃 best thing ever
Delicious! Yum yum yummy!
Definitely a keeper recipe!
Thank you very much !
This was soooo good! I used nonfat Greek yogurt instead of Mayo and blended it with the chipotle pepper in my Ninja. The fish I used was Tilapia. What a great recipe, quick and easy! Thanks, will make again?
I’ve loved all the other bowl recipes that I’ve tried on this site. This recipe will not be in my rotation-too bland. The sauce didn’t not liven the slaw and fish, leaving it bland. But it was super easy to make.
I have to be honest and say that I went into this thinking it was going to be very basic and lack-luster – boy was I wrong! This recipe was amazing!!! I used frozen Mahi from Costco and Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning – added red onion and fresh jalapeno. This little gem will be happening again soon!
Can you sub anything for the mayo? Major aversion in our house!
I made this for dinner last night. Easy, quick and absolutely delicious. A keeper for sure.
So good! I used mahi mahi with Cajun seasoning, black beans with salsa, grape tomatoes, and the yummy Mayo sauce and it was so good! Also used adobo sauce over sriracha even though I have both because I felt for me it’d be tastier. Pan fried, tho honestly when Gina says pan fry for 6 minutes do it lol I went two minutes over by mistake and while still good I will do just the 6 next time!
This was delicious and super easy. I used cod and it worked perfect.
This was sooo good!! Everyone loved it, including my 7 year old. She did opt for taco sauce on hers instead of the chipotle mayo but other than that she loved it. Super easy too!
Do you think Old Bay seasoning would work well on the fish?
I used shrimp because it is what I had on hand but kept everything else the same. It was fantastic! Will definitely keep in the rotation.
Another win!! I used Mahi Mahi and 3 tsp of Cajun seasoning, which gave it a good heat. Even my 11 year old daughter who “does not like fish” enjoyed these by using shells and turning them into tacos. Thank you Gina for another easy, family-friendly, quick meal!
Could I make this with frozen fish? Would I need to thaw it first or could I air fry it from frozen? Thank you!
I thawed out frozen tilapia and it worked great!
Delicious and quick. I used precut slaw and all together dinner was ready in 20 min even with my arms dead from a workout I’d just finished. We added rice to the bottom of the bowl and it all mixed together to be better than anything I could get at a restaurant. Definitely keeping this in the rotation.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Can this be made with light mayo? Thanks!
This recipe was so quick and easy to put together! The simplicity of the ingredients and the combined flavors from the citrus/spice/mayo really came together nicely. We served this over white rice and made it with cod. Next time I’d probably go with Mahi instead.
I made this for lunch today and it was delicious! I also added a little diced avocado and thinly sliced red onion to each bowl when serving. Definitely a recipe I will keep in the rotation! Thanks!
Great dinner! And so easy to make!!
Where do you purchase your fish from!
I really like the Alaskan Salmon Company they have great halibut and salmon.
Is there something to substitute for cajun seasoning?
In the Variations section above, Gina suggests :
Fish Taco Seasoning: If you don’t like spicy food, swap the Cajun seasoning for Tajin or chili lime seasoning.
So easy quick and delicious! I served with rice and mexican style street corn chopped salad kit from target. Yummm
We made this last night – first day you posted it. It was very yummy and we will be making it again. My husband finished the leftover slaw after dinner. I did add salt, pepper and some green onions to the slaw before serving. Quick and tasty.
Do the calories include the sriracha mayo?