Grilled chicken tacos piled high with a simple lettuce-tomato slaw, avocado, and Cotija cheese on a charred tortilla are a quick weeknight dinner solution!
Grilled Chicken Tacos
We love taco Tuesdays in my house, and I’m not talking about the tacos that come in a kit! Instead, I make all kinds of tacos from scratch, from fish tacos and slow cooker chicken and black bean tacos and even turkey taco lettuce wraps. See more chicken breast recipes here!
These grilled chicken tacos are a wonderful addition to our taco rotation. They’re perfect for grilling outside now that the weather is so warm. They’re very simple to make, so I like to cook them if I’m short on time. I set all the fixings out on the table and let everyone make their own. They’re a definite crowd-pleaser.
Lettuce Slaw Ingredients:
I love a simple lettuce slaw on these grilled chicken tacos. It basically a salad mixed together for one tasty topping. Below is what I put in my lettuce slaw:
- Veggies: Lettuce, tomato, red onion
- Sauce: Lime juice, olive oil
- Seasoning: Cilantro, salt, pepper
Variations and Tips:
- If you don’t want to buy seasoned salt, you can use a mix of salt, chili powder, paprika, red pepper, and garlic powder to season the chicken.
- If you’d prefer a spicier dish, add sliced jalapeno or serrano pepper to the slaw.
- Swap lettuce for cabbage.
- If you can’t find cotija, sub it with feta.
- If you prefer to skip the tortillas, just turn this dish into a big salad. You can also use low-carb or whole wheat tortillas instead of corn.
- Double or triple this taco recipe if you want to feed a crowd.
- If you don’t have an outdoor grill, no worries! A grill pan or skillet will also work.
More Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Union Cantina Lobster Tacos
- Healthy Cod Fish Tacos
- Thai Chicken Peanut Lettuce Tacos
- Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
Grilled Chicken Tacos with Lettuce Slaw, Avocado and Cotija
For the chicken:
- 16 oz 4 thin sliced boneless chicken breast cutlets
- 1 1/4 tsp seasoned salt, I used Lawry’s Fire Roasted Chili & Garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
For the taco:
- 2 1/2 cups 4 oz shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup 1 medium vine ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/4 loose cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup thin sliced red onion1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- pinch fresh black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 tbsp crumbled Cotija cheese
- 5 ounces sliced, avocado
- thinly sliced radishes, for garnish (optional)
- 4 lime wedges, for serving
- Season chicken with seasoned salt, olive oil and lime juice and marinate for at least an hour.
- Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan on medium-high heat.
- Oil the grates and grill about 2 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 1 minute, or until cooked through. Set aside on a cutting board and slice into thin strips.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a large work bowl mix the lettuce, tomato, cilantro, onions, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On the grill heat tortillas, turning till they slightly char, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Design your taco. Add chicken, lettuce, avocado and top with cotija cheese and radishes if desired, serve with lime wedges.
45 comments on “Grilled Chicken Tacos with Lettuce Slaw, Avocado and Cotija”
I have made this several times, I used cabbage as a personal favorite. My guests ate more than two apiece, some of them ate five, but I did use the smaller “street taco” sized tortillas. Great recipe.
I LOVED these so much! We just used regular taco shells but the left overs were great as a salad. I used trader joe chili lime seasoning and it was terrific! Kids approved
I am so excited to try these but Lawry’s no longer makes this seasoning – is there an alternative?
Good to know, I love Tajin!
Made these last night, and they were terrific. I love the lettuce slaw! I added more lime juice to the tacos themselves to cut the saltiness of the cotija. I also used Tajin lime seasoning for the chicken (bought it for another Skinnytaste recipe, but I can’t remember which one), and it turned out great. Used low-carb tortillas, and they were very filling!
Came here to say that I couldn’t find the Lawry’s and to see if there was a recommended substitute. There wasn’t. Since I like to stick to the recipe the first go round, I hunted down the image of the back of the bottle on Amazon for the ingredients.
Ingredients: salt, sugar, smoked paprika, chipotle chili pepper, garlic, red pepper, parsley, extractives of paprika, natural flavor.
The plan is to throw together some combination of these items, minus the last two. Figured someone else might like to do the same.
I can’t find the Lawry’s Fire Roasted Chili & Garlic. Is there something else you recommend? We made it with traditional Lawry’s but it was too Salty. Thanks for any recommendations.
I found these today while searching Skinnytaste Chicken Tacos, because I knew there had to be a recipe! These are SO good- easy, refreshing, delicious, enjoyed by the entire family (picky eater could leave the lettuce off his tacos and still loved the chicken!). I predict I’ll be making these a lot this summer. Quick and easy and perfect for a weeknight meal!