This quick and easy Ground Turkey Skillet with sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, and tomatoes is perfect for meal prep. So filling and flavorful!
Skillet Turkey, Sweet Potatoes and Beans
This dairy-free, gluten-free winter skillet recipe is a variation of my summer ground turkey skillet but with sweet potatoes, and it has the perfect blend of protein, carbs, and fat. Also similar to these Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowls, but quicker and made in one skillet. It’s versatile, so you can switch up some of the ingredients depending on what you have, and it reheats well, so leftovers are delicious. Some healthy ground turkey recipes to try are this Turkey Taco Skillet and Cheesy Turkey Meatball Skillet.
Ground Turkey Skillet Ingredients
- Ground Turkey: Get 93% lean ground turkey.
- Onion: Chop a quarter cup of a white, yellow, or red onion.
- Tomato Paste: Sauté two tablespoons of tomato paste with the onion. Don’t know what to do with the leftover paste? Freeze it in ice cube trays to have on hand for future recipes.
- Sweet Potatoes: Peel and dice two medium potatoes into half-inch pieces.
- Black Beans: Rinse and drain canned black beans.
- Corn: Use fresh or frozen corn kernels.
- Tomato: Dice a large tomato.
- Jalapeño: Keep the seeds and ribs in the pepper for a spicier meal or remove them if you prefer mild dishes.
- Garlic: Mince one clove.
- Cilantro: Add fresh cilantro to the skillet and garnish with more. If you don’t like cilantro, omit it.
- Seasoning: Cumin, salt
- Chicken Broth: Feel free to sub vegetable broth if that’s what you have.
- Garnishes: Serve with lime wedges and sliced avocado.
How to Make This Ground Turkey Skillet
- Turkey: Brown the turkey in a large skillet set on high heat and season it with salt and cumin.
- Onions: After about five minutes, push the meat to the side and cook the onions and tomato paste for a minute.
- Remaining Ingredients: Add the sweet potatoes, beans, corn, tomato, jalapeño, garlic, and cilantro, stir in the broth, and season it with the rest of the salt and cumin.
- Simmer: Cover the skillet and cook on low for 12 to 14 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Serve the turkey mixture with lime wedges, more cilantro, and avocado.
How to Meal Prep Turkey Skillet
This easy turkey skillet dinner is excellent for meal prep. You can dice the onion, sweet potato, jalapeño, and cilantro in advance, so most of the prep work is done when you’re ready to cook. The leftovers are great for meals throughout the week. They’ll last for four days in the refrigerator and reheat well in the microwave. You can also freeze the turkey mixture for up to three months.
- Protein: Swap turkey with lean ground sirloin.
- Tomatoes: Use canned diced tomatoes if you don’t have fresh.
- Vegetables: Add spinach or bell pepper for extra veggies.
- Make It Spicy: Top your bowl with hot sauce for an extra kick.
- Cheese: Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top.
More Ground Turkey Recipes You’ll Love:
- Skillet Ground Turkey Taco Cauliflower Rice
- Turkey and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Ground Turkey Chorizo
- Turkey Picadillo
- No-Bean Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
Your comments are helpful! If you’ve tried this healthy Ground Turkey Skillet recipe or any other on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. And if you took a photo of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can reshare it on my Stories!
Ground Turkey Skillet with Sweet Potatoes and Black Bean
- 14 ounces sweet potato peeled and diced 1/2 inch, from 2 medium
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cups canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1 large diced tomato
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- lime wedges for serving
- 4 ounces avocado sliced
- Spray a large skillet over high heat with oil and brown the turkey, season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cumin.
- Cook breaking the meat up until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Push the meat to the side, spray the other side with oil and add the onion and tomato paste and cook 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potato, black beans, corn, tomato, jalapeño pepper, garlic, cilantro and stir with the chicken broth.
- Add the 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste and the cumin.
- Mix and cover, cook low 12 to 14 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Serve with lime wedges and more cilantro.