Making risotto in the Instant Pot is the easiest and quickest way to make it, eliminating the need to watch and stir it the entire time.
Instant Pot Risotto
Instant Pot Risotto is the fastest and easiest way to make risotto! This spring recipe is made with prosciutto, peas, and herbs for a delicious side dish and a great addition to your holiday table. You can also modify some of my other risotto recipes like Spring Asparagus Risotto, and Scallops Over Wilted Spinach Parmesan Risotto using this cooking method. See all my Instant Pot recipes here.
You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to make risotto in the Instant Pot. The secret to its creaminess is to stir it during the last bit of cooking after opening the Instant Pot. It lets you see and taste the exact moment the rice is perfectly cooked and creamy.
Instant Pot Risotto Ingredients
The ingredients in Instant Pot risotto are very basic, so choosing the best quality ones will give you the most delicious results.
- Rice: Arborio rice is the best rice for risotto.
- Cooking Liquid: The rice cooks in dry white wine and chicken broth. If you prefer to cook with no wine, just use more broth.
- Aromatics: Shallots, garlic, fresh rosemary, salt, and black pepper boost the flavor of this dish. If you don’t have rosemary on hand, swap it with tarragon or thyme.
- Peas: I use frozen petite green peas, but you can use the bigger size or fresh peas.
- Cheese: I prefer Parmigiano Reggiano, which has a deeper, more complex flavor than parmesan, but either will work.
- Prosciutto: The crispy prosciutto is very easy to do in the Instant Pot and adds flavor to the risotto. But if you want to prepare it ahead, here’s a cool shortcut: Lay the pieces on a plate and microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Presto! Also, if you want vegetarian risotto, omit the prosciutto.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Risotto
Since this risotto is a little heavier, I would pair it with a lean protein, like chicken breast, shrimp, or pork tenderloin. If you want an extra veggie, serve some asparagus or an arugula salad on the side.
More Rice Recipes You’ll Love:
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Baked Rice and Peas
- Homemade Rice Pilaf
- Mushroom Risotto
- Shrimp, Peas, and Rice
Instant Pot Risotto with Prosciutto, Peas, and Herbs
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 slices Prosciutto, (preferably Prosciutto di Parma)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, (preferably extra virgin)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots, (about 3 small)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen green petite peas, thawed
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, (preferably Parmigano Reggiano)
- Heat the broth in a small pot over medium heat until hot.
- Reduce heat to maintain temperature without allowing broth to come to a boil.
- Set Instant Pot or similar multi cooker to sauté function at high.
- Lay prosciutto in to bottom of the pan and cook until brown and crispy, 2 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat setting to medium, add the olive oil, shallot and garlic and cook, stirring until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add rosemary, salt, and pepper, stirring for 30 seconds. Stir in rice, allowing the grain to become coated with the fat, and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the wine and stir to insure any browned bits are lifted from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the hot broth and cover the Instant Pot with the lid and close the vent closed (sealing position). Set to pressure cook function at high for 6 minutes. Quick release the pressure (venting), open the lid.
- Set Instant Pot function to sauté at medium.
- Add the peas and continually stir for 2 minutes until the remaining liquid is absorbed, the peas are heated through and the rice is creamy.
- Turn off heat and stir in the cheese.
- Serve rice with pieces of the crispy prosciutto.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.