Lox and Eggs with Onions
Lox and Eggs with Caramelized Onions, also called a LEO scramble takes “ordinary” scrambled eggs to “gourmet”, a 15 minute breakfast!
Lox and Eggs with Onions
If you’re lucky enough to know a Jewish delicatessen that serves breakfast, then you may recognize this iconic breakfast. The sweet flavor of lightly caramelized onions, the saltiness of smoked salmon, and creamy eggs makes this breakfast delicious! This healthy salmon and scrambled eggs dish is full of omega-3s and low in carbs. This high-protein breakfast with over 21 grams of protein is an excellent way to start your morning. More of my favorite scrambled egg recipes are these High-Protein Scrambled Eggs with Cottage Cheese and Mushroom-Spinach Scrambled Eggs.
How is lox different from smoked salmon?
How to Make Lox and Eggs
This lox and eggs recipe is easy to make at home.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, spray it with olive oil, and add butter.
- Add the onions and a quarter teaspoon of salt once the butter melts. Cook the onions for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the onions cook, beat the eggs seasoned with salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour in the eggs and scramble until almost cooked through.
- Right before the eggs are done, turn off the stove and gently fold in the salmon. Top the mixture with chives or scallions.
- Fish: You can use smoke salmon, lox, or nova lox for this scrambled egg recipe.
- Seasoning: Season the eggs and onions with everything-bagel seasoning instead of salt and pepper.
- Bagel: Serve the lox and scrambled eggs on a bagel as a sandwich.
- Double the recipe to feed more people.
More Smoked Salmon Recipes You’ll Love:
- Smoked Salmon Breakfast Flatbread
- Goat Cheese Herb Omelet with Nova Lox
- Seattle Smoked Salmon Chowder
- Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
- Bagel Bar Brunch with Smoked Salmon
Lox and Eggs with Onions3
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, or dairy free butter
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered and cut into ¼-inch slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces sliced Nova lox, chopped
- Chopped chives or scallion greens, for garnish
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium heat. Spray lightly with oil and add the butter. Once the butter has melted and starts to foam, add the onions and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Cook the onions for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges have browned, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a small bowl with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste.
- When the onions have browned, add the eggs and scramble until almost cooked through.
- Just before eggs are set, turn off the heat and add the salmon.
- Gently fold in the salmon until heated through and evenly combined, about 30 seconds. Top with chives or scallions and serve.