Strawberry and Gorgonzola Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Strawberry salad made with mixed greens, kale and spinach, sliced almonds, crumbled gorgonzola cheese and topped with poppy seed dressing – perfect for summer!
This makes a wonderful light lunch or a perfect side salad to serve with grilled chicken. Other healthy strawberry salads I enjoy during this time of year are Grilled Chicken Salad with Strawberries, Spinach, and Goat Cheese or a super simple Strawberry Cucumber Salad.
Today it really feels like Spring here on the East Coast. Temperatures are supposed to get into the eighties, which is quite a change from the snow we had two weeks ago! I’ve been on a salad kick big time, and even started a Pinterest board dedicated to salads called “Bikini Ready Salads” because summer will be here before you know it.
What is Poppy Seed Dressing made of?
This poppy seed salad dressing is a simple vinaigrette made with honey, poppy seeds and minced shallots.
I love fruit in my salads, especially when combined with the texture of nuts such as almonds and a soft cheese like Gorgonzola. The sweetness of the strawberries compliments the cheese, and the poppy seed dressing ties it all together. And side bar, I am looooving Organic Girl’s I heart baby kale mix.
You can swap the almonds for any nut you like, such as walnuts or pecans and the cheese can be swapped with goat cheese. For Paleo diets, leave out the cheese and use raw honey in the dressing. Naturally gluten free.
More Light Spring and Summer Salads:
- Berry Salad with Almond-Cranberry Crusted Goat Cheese
- Grilled Peach and Watermelon Burrata Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Sesame Crusted Tuna Steak on Arugula
Mixed Baby Greens with Strawberries, Gorgonzola and Poppy Seed Dressing
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced shallots
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey, raw for Paleo
- 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
For the salad:
- 5 oz organic mixed baby greens
- 1/4 cup slivered almond
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola, leave out for Paleo
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a big salad bowl and toss with dressing or you can divide the ingredients equally between four plates.