Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice has a delicious flavor combination of savory, sweet and spicy. Serve it in hollowed out pineapples for a beautiful presentation!
Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
I love fried rice, it’s one of my favorite foods! This shrimp fried rice dish is inspired by a Malaysian restaurant I used to frequent before they closed down. It’s sweet and savory, made with shrimp for protein, chunks of fresh pineapple stir-fried with brown rice. I missed this dish so much I recreated it at home and love it! You may also like this vegetarian fried rice with edamame, or this low-carb cauliflower fried rice instead.
Penang, in Soho used to be one of my favorite places to eat, when they closed down I was so upset. They had the best roti canai appetizer and calamari dish ever!
Since they closed, I often remake this stir fry dish at home. If you rather not go through the extra work of hollowing out a pineapple, you could simply serve this in a bowl. I had my friends over for dinner and they were really impressed with this flavors and presentation of this dish. My husband however thought the serving sizes should be larger, so if you’re feeding hungry men, you may want to make extra. The ladies were perfectly happy with this, and it left room for dessert!
It’s best to use leftover cold rice when making fried rice. I love keeping Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice on hand for stir fries, it’s so convenient and makes this dish come together in minutes!
Liquid Aminos or Coconut Aminos can be substituted for the soy sauce.
More Shrimp Recipes You May Like:
Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, from 1 1/2 cups uncooked
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 1/4 lb large peeled and deveined shrimp, chopped into chunks
- 1-1/2 cups fresh pineapple, diced (from 2 fresh)
- 5 large scallions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper or jalepeno, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- cilantro for garnish
- Cook brown rice according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- If making pineapple bowls, cut each pineapple in half and hollow out both halves to make 4 bowls.
- Cut a piece off the bottom of the pineapple halves to create a flat base.
- Cut the pineapple into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick wok on high heat; when hot add oil.
- Add shrimp and cook a few minutes until just opaque, 3 to 5 minutes; set aside.
- Add the scallions, chili and garlic to the wok. Saute about 1 minute, then add the rice, shrimp and pineapple and stir a few times.
- Add soy sauce and fish sauce, stir to mix all the ingredients and cook another 30 seconds.
- Divide and transfer into the hollowed out pineapples and garnish with cilantro.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit: Jess Larson