Sesame Orange Broccoli is a vibrant, flavorful side dish with stir fried broccoli with the sweetness of oranges and the nuttiness of sesame.
Sesame Orange Broccoli
Looking for something different to do with broccoli, then this easy stir-fried side dish is for you. The key ingredients in this dish are broccoli florets, fresh orange juice and zest, sesame seeds, and garlic, soy sauce, and ginger for a more Asian-inspired flavor profile. Sesame oil is also used to sauté the broccoli and give it a rich, aromatic taste. This dish pairs well with Asian grilled chicken, tofu, or fish, and is a great way to add a dose of healthy vegetables to any meal.
- Broccoli, cut into florets
- Orange Sesame Sauce: corn starch, fresh orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce
- Aromatics: grated fresh ginger, garlic, scallion
- Sesame: sesame oil and sesame seeds
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional for heat)
How To Make Sesame Orange Broccoli
- Blanch the Broccoli: Blanching the broccoli helps to preserve its vibrant green color and crunch. This involves briefly submerging the broccoli florets in boiling water, then plunging them into ice-cold water to halt the cooking process.
- Prepare the Orange-Sesame Sauce: In a separate bowl, combine the orange juice, soy sauce, orange zest and cornstarch, whisking until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Sauté the Broccoli: In a large non-stick wok or large deep skillet, heat some sesame oil over high heat, then add sesame oil, scallions, garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the blanched broccoli. Sauté until it begins to turn golden, then pour the orange-sesame sauce over the broccoli.
- Simmer and Serve: Let the broccoli simmer in the sauce for a few minutes until it is fully coated and the flavors are well infused. Just before serving, sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the top and red pepper flakes (if using).
Sesame Orange Broccoli
- kosher salt
- 12 oz broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add broccoli and boil for 1 minutes.
- Drain and immediately place broccoli in a large bowl of ice water to stop it from cooking.
- In a small bowl add orange juice, soy sauce, orange zest and cornstarch, whisking until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Heat a non-stick wok or large deep skillet over high heat.
- Add sesame oil, scallions, garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the sauce and broccoli and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, until the broccoli is crisp tender. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Serve immediately.