Skinny Chicken Enchiladas
If you’re an enchilada lover like me, you will love these!! Chicken enchiladas are always my dish of choice when I go out for Mexican and this recipe is as good as any recipe you’ll find in a restaurant (if not better) only much lighter!
Originally posted February 26th, it’s one of my popular recipes on my blog and I had it re-shot because the photos needed a makeover.
I always have shredded chicken breast on hand, I usually make a whole package of chicken breast in my crock pot to use for recipes throughout the week. Leftover chicken would also work. Look for whole wheat, low carb such as La Tortilla Factory, or Mission Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas.
Skinny Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 8.5 oz (2 breast halves) cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 8 (7-inch) low-carb whole wheat flour tortillas (la tortilla factory )
- 1 cup shredded low fat Mexican cheese
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions or cilantro for topping
- In a medium saucepan, spray oil and sauté garlic. Add chipotle chiles , chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Put 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it.
- Place on baking dish seam side down, top with sauce.
- Then top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. Top with low fat sour cream or scallions if you wish. (Extra points) Makes 8 enchiladas.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1 enchilada
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 5
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 194
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 640mg
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 9.5g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 18g
Photo credit Sarah of Broma Bakery