This is the soup I crave on nights I want soup with a sandwich (great with grilled cheese or garlic knots!). It’s super easy and can be made anytime of the year because it uses canned tomatoes.
This soup is adapted from my Slow Cooker Tomato Soup recipe which I changed up a little to make it work in the Instant Pot. I also changed the method and ingredients slightly so if you notice the nutritional info is different, that is why. I highly recommend using Pecorino Romano, I’ve tried this with other brands and the flavor just doesn’t compare. This soup freezes well which is great for meal prep if you want to make a few dishes ahead for the month.
You can see more Soup Recipes here!
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced onions
- 2 tablespoons all purpose or gluten-free flour
- 3 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable for vegetarians
- 1 3/4 cups reduced fat 2% milk
- 28 oz can San Marzano whole plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Parmesan or Romano cheese rind optional
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Use the saute button on the Instant Pot, then add the oil and butter, when melted add the celery, carrots and onions; cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the flour, stir and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth, milk, and pour the juice of the tomatoes into the Instant Pot, then roughly crush the tomatoes with your hands; add to the pot. Add the thyme, basil, and bay leaves and parmesan rind if using.
- Cover and cook high pressure 30 minutes. Quick or natural release, remove the cheese rind and herbs then blend the soup using an immersion blender until smooth (or you can carefully do this in small batches in the blender).
- Add the 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese, salt and pepper, adjusting to taste.
- To serve, ladle into bowls, top each with basil and 1 teaspoon parmesan.