Chicken, red peppers and mushrooms simmer in tomato sauce for a great tasting, simple, weeknight meal your whole family will enjoy. My mother made this often when I was a child and I have always loved this recipe. I modified Mom’s recipe to make it Weight Watcher friendly by removing the chicken skin, fat and using less oil. Top this with some good grated like Pecorino Romano.
- 6 chicken thighs, skin and fat removed
- olive oil spray
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fat free chicken broth, more if needed
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups cooked, 12 oz uncooked high fiber or whole wheat pasta
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. I
- n a large heavy saute pan, heat the pan over a medium-high flame and spray with cooking oil.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and saute just until brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add the peppers, onion and garlic to the pan and saute over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 3-4 minutes, then add mushrooms and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and oregano.
- Cover the pan and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Continue simmering over low heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil 5 minutes before sauce is done.
- Serve over whole wheat or high fiber pasta like Ronzoni Smart Taste.