If you ask me, meatloaf is one of the most underrated dinner ideas. Try these 12 Easy Meatloaf Recipes made with juicy ground turkey or lean beef and flavorful ingredients for your next family dinner.
The Healthiest Homemade Meatloaf Recipes
If you need some weeknight dinner ideas, there’s lots of inspiration here. Most of us have memories of meatloaf growing up (for better or worse!). Gone are the days of dry, flavorless meatloaf, or recipes loaded with saturated fats and sugared-up sauces. Homemade meatloaf is a wonderful way to pack in tons of lean protein, healthy vegetables, and your favorite flavors into one recipe – if you know where to start.
While many traditional meatloaf recipes might be lacking in the nutrition department, I’m sharing some of my best flavor-packed variations that are perfectly suited to a balanced diet. By trading some or all of the ground beef for leaner ground turkey, and carb-heavy fillers for veggies, you can easily cut down on added fats and calories in your favorite meatloaf recipes.
These recipes are ready to walk you through it. Just whip together the ingredients, shape, and bake. It’s that easy, and you’ll never think of meatloaf the same way again.
What Is the Secret to Moist Meatloaf?
Before we get into my favorite meatloaf recipes, here are some easy tips for making meatloaf that’s moist and tender rather than dense and dry:
- Don’t Overwork the Meat: Make sure to combine the ingredients well, but don’t overwork your meat mixture. The best way to mix is to use your hands.
- Add Veggies: Vegetables hold a lot of moisture. Adding grated zucchini, sweet potato or carrots to your meatloaf can help to keep them tender and juicy.
- Add Sauces: Mixing in extra condiments like tomato paste, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce not only adds flavor but keeps the meatloaf moist.
How Can I Add Flavor to My Meatloaf?
Sure, there’s always salt and pepper. But don’t overlook to the potential for other spices, herbs, and seasoning blends to enhance the flavors of your meatloaf recipes. Fresh herbs like garlic, thyme, parsley, and coriander can work wonders. Then there are sauces and condiments: try adding a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, a spoonful of ketchup or mustard, BBQ sauce, or even harissa paste for even more depth of flavor.
What Ingredient Keeps Meatloaf From Falling Apart
To hold your meatloaf together, you will need some type of binder. I use everything from oatmeal, breadcrumbs, gluten-free panko and even mashed sweet potato.
12 Best Meatloaf Recipes to Make Tonight
Who’s ready to level up some good old-fashioned meatloaf? Try these easy recipes made from lean, healthy ingredients.
1. The Best Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
2. Enchilada Turkey Meatloaf
3. Meatloaf and Brown Gravy
4. Turkey Meatloaf with Zucchini
5. Sweet Potato Turkey Meatloaf
6. Cheese Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
7. Campfire Dinner Meatloaf Foil Packets
8. Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting
9. Sheet Pan Turkey Meatloaf and Broccoli
10. Skillet Harissa Turkey Meatloaf
11. Bacon Topped Petite Turkey Meatloaf with BBQ Sauce
12. Petite Turkey Meatloaves
How To Store
Many meatloaf recipes are wonderful to make ahead and keep well for days when properly stored. Keep your leftover meatloaf airtight in the refrigerator, and reheat it either in the oven or microwave. We’ll even enjoy our leftovers cold in meatloaf sandwiches. Meatloaf can be refrigerated up to 4 days or frozen up to 3 months in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap.
Craving More Weeknight Dinner Ideas?
If you grew up eating homemade meatloaf, I hope you’ll love these healthy recipes as much as I do. For more easy dinner ideas, check out my recipe finder. I have loads more recipes to share!