Enchilada Turkey Meatloaf
At my husband’s request, we make turkey meatloaf at home at least once a month. I love getting creative with it because there are many ways to switch it up. This moist ground turkey meatloaf is studded with corn, black beans, and green chiles and topped with enchilada sauce, jalapeño, and cheese. Some other healthy meatloaf recipes you will love are this Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf or this Sheet Pan Turkey Meatloaf and Broccoli dish.
I’m always looking for new and exciting ways to use up a package of ground turkey, which is much leaner than beef. When it comes to meatloaf we have learned to prefer ground turkey to beef. For other ideas you can see all my ground turkey recipes from the archives.
Binder to hold ground turkey meatloaf together
To keep ground turkey meatloaf from falling apart, you must use enough binders to keep it together. I use a half-cup of quick oats and an egg for this recipe. You can also use breadcrumbs in there place.
What temperature should meatloaf be cooked at?
I cook turkey meatloaf at 350F degrees for 55 to 60 minutes. The best way to check that it is cooked through is with a meat thermometer, which should read 165 degrees.
Side dish ideas for turkey meatloaf
Here are some Latin-inspired side dish ideas to serve with this enchilada meatloaf:
- Rice: Cilantro Lime Rice, Latin Yellow Rice
- Vegetables: Skillet Mexican Zucchini, Cilantro-Lime Roasted Cauliflower, Mexican Cauliflower Rice
How to freeze:
Meatloaf lasts in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and is great for freezing. For meal prep, you can make two – one to eat for dinner and one to freeze for later. It takes about the same amount of time to double the recipe, and the meatloaves can bake together.
To freeze, let the meatloaf cool and slice it. Then place the slices in a freezer- safe container with pieces of parchment paper in between so they don’t freeze together. When you’re ready to eat, pull out as many slices as needed, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and reheat in the microwave.
Enchilada Turkey Meatloaf Variations:
- Meat: Swap ground turkey for lean ground beef.
- Enchilada Sauce: Make your enchilada sauce from scratch or buy it premade to save time. Leftover sauce is delicious on chicken-rice bowls, spaghetti squash, and of course, enchiladas.
- Oats: Use an equal amount of breadcrumbs instead of oats. For a low- carb, grain-free option, go with almond meal.
- Beans: Sub pinto beans for black beans or omit if you’re not a fan.
- Herbs: If you don’t like cilantro, skip it.
- Spiciness: If your family does not like spicy food, omit the jalapeños on top.
More Meatloaf Recipes You’ll Love
- Meatloaf and Brown Gravy
- Easy Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- Sheet Pan Turkey Meatloaf and Broccoli
- Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting
- Skillet Harissa Turkey Meatloaf
Enchilada Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 pounds 93% ground turkey
- 1/2 cup quick oats, *check lables for gluten free
- 2 tablespoons mild enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/3 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup canned reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounce can mild chopped green chili, drained well
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2/3 cup mild enchilada sauce
- 1/3 cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1 jalapeño sliced thin, optional
- Preheat the oven 350F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine ground turkey, oats, 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce, scallions, corn, beans, green chiles, garlic, egg, salt, cumin and onion powder.
- Combine everything well using clean hands, then shape onto the sheet pan into an oval loaf flattened on top so you can add the sauce and cheese later.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and top with the remaining enchilada sauce, cheese, and, jalapeño.
- Bake until the sauce is heated through and the cheese is melted, about 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired. To serve, transfer to a cutting board and slice into 12 slices.
- Serve with extra sauce if desired.