Skillet Chicken in Tomato-Chipotle Sauce with Avocado Crema, a quick Mexican-inspired chicken dish with a smoky-spicy tomato-chipotle sauce topped with an avocado-sour cream sauce.
Skillet Chicken in Chipotle Sauce
I served this over cilantro-lime rice using trader joe’s frozen brown rice instead of white, but it would also be great over cilantro-lime cauliflower for a lower carb option. I used the leftovers the next day and made a big taco style salad over chopped greens with avocado, tomatoes and shredded Pepper Jack cheese! You may also enjoy these Instant Pot Chicken Chipotle Bowls!
This Mexican inspired chicken recipe is so easy and perfect for any weeknight dinner. You can adjust the spice level to your taste. The avocado sauce is delicious, I love it here or drizzled over tacos, enchiladas, etc.
Avocado Crema Ingredients
- Avocado, for healthy fats
- Sour Cream, for creaminess
- Jalapeño, for spice
- Lime Juice, for brightness
- Cilantro, for freshness
More Mexican Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken and White Bean Enchiladas with Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce
- Enchilada Chicken Roll Ups
- Classic Enchiladas Verdes
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
Skillet Chicken in Tomato Chipotle Sauce With Avocado Crema
- 2 1 pound total boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 ounce avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ small jalapeno pepper seeds and membrane removed
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon water as needed
- Place the chicken breast halves between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or parchment and lightly pound to even thickness. Season both sides with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Spray with olive oil spray, add chicken breasts and brown each side, 2 minutes each. Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium, add oil and onions and sauté, scraping brown bits with a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds more. Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, ½ teaspoon salt, cumin, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, return chicken to pan, cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes more or until chicken is cooked through. Add lime juice.
- Meanwhile, to make the avocado sauce combine all sauce ingredients in a small blender and process until smooth and uniform in color.
- To serve: Top each chicken breast half with tomato sauce mixture, avocado sauce and garnish with cilantro.