These crisp, golden, and delicious Parmesan asparagus fries are a tasty way to eat your veggies! Bake them in the oven or make them in the air fryer!
Parmesan Asparagus Fries
Someone suggested making asparagus fries to me, and I thought it was such a great idea. To make the crumbs stick better, I dredged the asparagus spears in an egg-flour batter and then coated with Parmesan and panko crumbs. This takes roasted asparagus to a whole new level! Once baked or air fried, they are crispy perfection! If you’re gluten-free or dairy-free, not to worry! I also tested them with gluten-free crumbs, gluten-free flour, and dairy-free Parmesan, and they were just as good. For more veggie fry recipes, try these Zucchini Sticks, Eggplant Sticks, and Avocado Fries.
Move over french fries, these asparagus fries are addicting and delicious!
- Asparagus: Look for thicker spears, and snap the ends off of a pound of asparagus.
- Panko: Buy seasoned panko for extra flavor. If you only have regular, add extra seasonings, like onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and dried herbs.
- Parmesan Cheese: Combine shredded parmesan with panko in a large shallow bowl.
- Flour and Eggs: Whisk two eggs and two tablespoons of all-purpose flour in another bowl.
How to Air Fry Asparagus
- Dip the asparagus in the egg mixture and then the panko-parmesan. Spray each one generously with olive oil.
- Place the spears in an even layer in the basket, and air fry the asparagus at 380°F for six to seven minutes, flipping them halfway.
How to Bake Asparagus Fries
- If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake the asparagus instead. First, preheat the oven to 425°F, spray a sheet pan with oil, and place the breaded asparagus on the sheet pan.
- Spray the spears with oil and bake them for 12 to 14 minutes, turning halfway.
What to Serve with Asparagus Fries
These crispy asparagus fries would go great with shrimp, air fryer steaks, baked salmon, or roasted chicken. If you want to add another side, try them with smashed sweet potatoes or roasted butternut squash. You could also serve them with ranch or garlic aioli if you want a dipping sauce.
How to Store
Refrigerate for up two days in an airtight container. Reheat them in the air fryer or oven until warm.
- If you’re gluten-free or dairy-free, not to worry! I also tested them with gluten-free crumbs, gluten-free flour, and dairy-free Parmesan, and they were just as good.
More Asparagus Recipes You’ll Love
- Grilled Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus
- Asparagus and Feta Tartlet with Phyllo Crust
- Roasted Asparagus
- Pasta with Asparagus
- Steamed Asparagus with Poached Eggs
How To Make Parmesan Asparagus Fries
- 1 pound asparagus, about 20, tough ends snapped off (look for thicker spears)
- 2/3 cup seasoned panko crumbs, or gluten-free seasoned panko
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, (or dairy-free Parmesan such as Follow Your Heart)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or gluten-free flour (such as cup4cup)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- olive oil spray
- Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a large shallow bowl.
- Place egg and flour in another shallow bowl and whisk well.
- Dip asparagus in the egg mixture, then the panko-parmesan and spray generously with olive oil.
Air Fryer Method:
- Place in air fryer basket in an even layer and air fry 380F 6 to 7 minutes, flipping halfway until golden and tender.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 425F.
- Spray a sheet pan with oil, and place breaded asparagus on the sheet pan.
- Spray with oil and bake 12 to 14 minutes, turning halfway, until golden and tender.