These Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes made with chicken breast, cheese and enchiladas sauce are an easy one-pot meal!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Sweet Potatoes
If you’re an enchilada chicken fan, you’ll love these easy loaded sweet potatoes. The combination of spicy enchilada sauce with sweet potatoes is addictive! I love to top mine with cheddar cheese, sour cream, scallions, and cilantro. And if you haven’t made sweet potatoes in the slow cooker yet, you’ll never make them any other way – it’s my favorite way to cook them. They turn out so tender and delicious! For some more loaded sweet potato recipes, try my sloppy joe sweet potatoes, loaded vegetarian sweet potatoes, and Italian-style stuffed sweet potatoes.
I love chicken enchiladas, which is probably obvious by all my enchiladas recipes, like this classic one and these enchiladas verdes. So, I figured why not switch it up and take the enchilada filling and put it on top of a sweet potato instead. The results were delicious!
This recipe is a one-pot meal, all made in the slow cooker if using jarred enchilada sauce. That being said, I highly recommend using my homemade enchilada sauce recipe. It makes all the difference and is pretty quick to make.
For the best results, you will need a 6-quart slow cooker to make this dish. You need enough room to cook four potatoes and chicken breasts. Of course, if you don’t have a large enough crockpot, you can always bake the sweet potatoes.
How To Meal Prep
These healthy chicken enchilada sweet potatoes are a very filling and easy dinner. They’d be great for meal prep. You can cook the chicken and potatoes ahead of time and then stuff the potatoes and add the toppings before eating.
More Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love:
- Turmeric Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- Parmesan Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Balsamic Glaze
- Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potato, Dried Cherries, Feta & Pepitas
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes Brulee
- No Bean Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
Slow Cooker Loaded Enchilada Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium, (about 6 oz each) sweet potatoes, skin on
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic power
- 1 cup enchilada sauce, I recommend my homemade
- chopped scallions, for serving
- 1/4 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions and/or cilantro, for garnish
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Wrap the potatoes individually in foil.
- Season the chicken with salt and garlic powder and place on one end of the slow cooker, cover with 1/4 cup enchilada sauce.
- Place the potatoes on the other end, stacking 2 on top of 2.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- When done, remove the potatoes and chicken.
- Transfer chicken to a small bowl and roughly shred with 2 forks and add the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Split open the sweet potatoes, then top with 2/3 cup of the enchilada chicken.
- Drizzle each half with 1 tablespoon cheese and place under the broiler 2 to 3 minutes, or until melted.
- Garnish each potato with 1 tablespoon sour cream and scallions or cilantro.
107 comments on “Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes”
This is one of my favorite recipes!
Question – would it be OK to substitute boneless chicken thighs ?
Like the others, I was doubtful about the combination of sweet potato and enchilada chicken. I had a jar of your enchilada sauce on hand from having made something else with it recently so it came together SO easily and ended up tasting so great. I think next time I might try to find some other fresh garnish like chopped jalapenos or avocado and see how that works. It was the perfect use of prepackaged four-packs of sweet potatoes from the grocery store. Another keeper recipe!
Extremely easy and very tasty! Will make this part of our dinner rotation!
Any recommendations on what I can sub enchilada sauce for since I have everything else?
Amazingly easy and delicious!
I’d love to try this recipe using my Instant Pot. Any ideas for the appropriate timing for the chicken and potatoes?
This was absolutely delicious! My husband and I devoured these!! Will definitely make again. I did bake the sweet potatoes in the oven just cause I had the time.
Made this for my family today with your homemade enchilada sauce. Amazing! Such great flavors. Everyone devoured their plates. Had a southwestern style salad on the side.
Loved this. Was surprised at how good the chicken enchilada was with a sweet potato. Easy and tasty dinner for a weeknight.
We love this recipe! I made the homemade enchilada sauce and I had the sweet potatoes and the chicken in the slow cooker for 8 hours. The sweet potatoes were soft, the chicken was moist and delicious. It fell apart shredding it. Everyone in my house loved it and went back for seconds. I will DEF be making this again and I highly recommend it! I’ve never had enchiladas before and I have no idea what canned enchilada sauce tastes like but the homemade was delicious and really no fuss to make.
Just finished this. I was really good. I added some chipotle tabasco when it was done. I did bake the sweet potatoes and cooked the chicken in the slow cooker on my Sunday cook day. I heated the chicken up with some sauce and microwaved the potatoes to reheat. Quick and really good dinner. Thank you
Delicious! Loved the homemade enchilada sauce!