Sweet Potato Casserole
This is seriously the best sweet potato casserole! Sweet potatoes, golden raisins, crushed pineapple and spices topped with pecans and mini marshmallows, then baked until golden. A classic sweet potato recipe!
Classic Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
I’ve gotten several requests for sweet potato casserole in the past, to be honest with you, I’ve never been a fan. But I thought that was selfish of me, so I decided to make one here for all of you who do like it. I think the colors are beautiful and this would be a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving table.
I tested this out on my sweet potato casserole loving aunt, and she thought it was delicious. She even enjoyed it with her family for dinner. My favorite part of the whole thing was the topping!
This recipe was adapted from a recipe for twice baked sweet potatoes in the White House Cookbook, Revised and Updated Centennial Edition I picked up in DC two weeks ago. I made the recipe exactly as written, then tweaked it a second time to my taste, and to make it into a casserole (I just can’t leave a recipe alone).
The cookbook contains original recipes from the 1890’s along with modern low-fat versions of each recipe. If you’re a history buff, you’ll find this book amusing with tips on how to avoid a cold, wash feathers, or make dresses “incombustible” as well as early table etiquette tips from 100 years ago.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potatoes, golden raisins, crushed pineapple and spices are topped with pecans and mini marshmallows, then baked until golden.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp agave
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch allspice
- 8 oz can unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Cut sweet potatoes into large chunks; boil potatoes in a large pot covered with water until potatoes are soft if pierced with a fork.
- Drain and return to the pot.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Mash the sweet potatoes (I used my immersion blender) and add in raisins, agave, spices and pineapple.
- Lightly spray a pie dish, casserole dish or even individual ramekins with oil, spoon in sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle with pecans and marshmallows.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Yield: 10 servings, Serving Size: 1/10th
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 132.5 calories
- Total Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 15.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 29.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Protein: 1.5g