Easy Crock Pot Salsa Chicken Thighs – This is the EASIEST slow cooker recipe EVER! Just TWO ingredients: salsa and chicken, plus some spices makes a delicious juicy chicken that can be used in tacos, over rice, over salad and more!
Crock Pot Salsa Chicken Thighs
After coming back from a long weekend away in Park City, Utah and no real plans for dinner, I was desperate for something quick and easy. Scouring my fridge and pantry I had some boneless skinless chicken thighs and some chunky salsa, so I threw them in my crock pot along with some spices and crossed my fingers.
What emerged was a delicious, juicy chicken which shredded wonderfully after a few hours of slow simmering – and bonus my husband and daughter enjoyed it!
Last night we had them as tacos with all the fixins, and for my youngest, I served hers over rice. Today I was in the mood for a salad bowl like I often get at Chipotle. I simply added some tomatoes, corn, shredded cheese and avocado and it was wonderful. This filling can be used so many ways, and it’s too easy not to try. If you make it with chicken breast, you can reduce the cook time to about 2 to 3 hours on low. Use it however you like, tacos, salad, enchilada filling, anything I haven’t thought of please share!
And since so many are asking, I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker. I love it because you can adjust the cooking time, and it automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This crock pot is so great, I actually own two!
Embarrassingly Easy Crock Pot Salsa Chicken Thighs
- 1-1/2 lbs lean skinless chicken thigh filets, Perdue Fit and Easy
- 1 cup chunks salsa
- adobo seasoning, or salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- Season the chicken with adobo (or salt), then place in the crock pot and top with salsa, garlic powder and 1/2 tsp cumin.
- Cover and cook LOW for 4 hours. When cooked, remove the chicken and set on a large plate; shred with two forks. Pour the liquid into a bowl and reserve, then place the shredded chicken back into the crock pot, adjust salt to taste and add remaining 1/4 tsp cumin.
- Pour 3/4 cup of the reserved liquid back into the crock pot and cover until ready to serve.
- Makes about 2 3/4 cups chicken.