Creamed Spinach – Lightened Up
A creamy blend of spinach, shallots, parmesan cheese, and Boursin Light makes a rich and flavorful side dish. A low fat version of a steakhouse favorite. Your family and friends will love this!
I love this with steak, but this is also great with turkey meatloaf. Boursin Light can be found in the cheese section of most supermarkets. If you can’t find it, light cream cheese or Laughing Cow could work as a replacement. Leftovers can be frozen.
Creamed Spinach - Lightened Up
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp fresh pepper
- salt to taste
- 4.4 oz Boursin Light
- 16 oz bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained of all moisture
- In a large saute pan, melt butter. Add shallots and garlic and cook on medium about 5 minutes.
- Add flour to shallots, mix well and cook one more minute.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly add milk, whisking well.
- Add parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add boursin light and mix with until smooth.
- Add spinach and combine well with sauce, cook one minute, until heated through. Adjust salt and pepper if necessary.